Search

The Dangers of Mold Exposure for Pets

Updated: Apr 10

Pet owners across the world adore their furry babies as if they were actual human babies. The newest generation of adults arguably places more value on their pet's lives than previous eras of pet owners. It is said that millennials will spare no expense when it comes to the health of their pet and will accumulate massive amounts of debt from veterinary bills if it means maintaining their animal’s livelihood.


We often look for signs in our pets that indicate something could be wrong with their health, but what if the biggest sign was hiding in your home? Under a piece of tile.. Near a leaky pipe.. or an air conditioning duct.

Your pet could be allergic to mold in your home. Pets are continuously exposed to mold spores in the air, and like a portion of the human population, some pets are allergic to mold and suffer adverse health affects from exposure.


Any area of your home that retains dampness can begin to cause expensive damages and impact the health of your family of people and/or pets. Every home possesses the conditions necessary to create potential mold growth, and every homeowner has the power to remove existing mold growth and prevent future mold growth.


Symptoms of Mold Exposure in Pets

While symptoms in humans range from mild allergy symptoms to more severe symptoms such as insomnia and depression, symptoms in pets will vary as well.

Cats and dogs are known to lick and chew their paws until they become raw, demonstrate certain behavioral changes, lose patches of fur, experience respiratory problems, receive damage to the gastrointestinal tract, develop serious digestive problems, become more lethargic than normal, and sometimes develop neurological issues such as; tremors or seizures. If your dog eats mold, it can cause anorexia, vomiting, and changes in bowel movements.


If your pet is experiencing these symptoms, make them an appointment with your veterinarian so that a proper diagnosis can be made and medicine can be prescribed if necessary. The symptoms of mold exposure can often mimic other health conditions so it is always best to have your pet evaluated by a professional.


The immediate impact of mold is often easily treatable, but long term exposure can sometimes lead to organ damage and more severe complications.


Remediation and Prevention

After a proper diagnosis, the only way to truly rid your animal of symptoms is to properly remediate the toxic mold.

In some cases, the homeowner can clean mold on their own. In other instances, simply removing the mold from the surface may not be enough. This is especially true when dealing with toxic forms of mold.


There’s no way to know if you are dealing with toxic black mold unless the mold is sent off to a lab and tested. Remember, mold comes in a large variety of types and colors. Mold that is black in coloration is not always as harmful, and mold that IS toxic can come in a variety of colors other than black.

Any porous material that mold is growing on usually needs to be assessed and removed by a professional. Attempting to clean certain types of mold without help can result in spreading the spores throughout the home and causing more mold growth in previously unaffected areas.


Our team of highly trained professionals at MS Mold Investigators is here to provide you with a thorough inspection and remediation plan for your home. We provide careful analysis of surface samples and air samples to identify the speciation of mold in your home and address the health risks and mycotoxins that are present. After a detailed report, consultation, and remediation if necessary; we provide a post remediation testing to insure the job was done correctly and the house is at safe levels.


After mold has been properly removed, there are a variety of steps a homeowner can take to prevent future growth.

  • Keep a regular check on the underside of hidden areas in the home such as flooring, tile, and wallpaper.

  • Avoid allowing moisture to linger in the home. This means repairing all leaks and providing proper ventilation systems throughout the home.

  • Address condensation issues in the home.

  • Hire a professional to clean mold to prevent spreading the spores.

  • Leave a means of air flow and circulation when leaving the room or property unattended for a period of time.

Follow these steps and don't hesitate to bring in a professional when needed, and you will be on your way to a clean and safe environment for your family and it's furry babies.

23 views
Web Mold Logo-03.png
  • Facebook Social Icon

SISTER COMPANIES:

Web Logos-02.png
Leak Logo Web-09.png

@2020 MS Mold Investigators