Mold Frequently Asked Questions
Can I clean up mold myself?
In some instances yes. In other instances, simply removing the visible mold from the surface may not be enough. Any porous material that mold is growing on usually needs to be assessed and removed by a professional. When disturbed, mold has been known to release spores into the environment, which could then spread to other areas of the house if not contained properly. There is also always a chance for a large amount of unseen mold in the area that many people may overlook. It is best to hire a professional trained to look for any situation where mold may be present.
What are some signs that would indicate that I need my home tested for mold?
If you've had water damage in your home, discoloration of walls, floors or ceilings, or unexplained allergic reactions, or musty odor, your home might be infected with mold. All of these are indications of a mold problem. We also recommend testing your home for mold if it is exposed to large amounts of moisture.
Is mold harmful to me?
Only about 1 in 4 people are really affected by mold. One person can sit by mold all day without being effected while another person has crippling allergic reactions from that same mold. Some forms of mold are also more dangerous than others.
What are common areas affected by mold?
The most common areas affected by mold are areas prone to moisture. Mold can also grow in hidden areas of the home, such as bathrooms and under the floor. Also look for anywhere outside air and humidity are combined with the home's cooled air.
How can I prevent mold growth in my home?
Although you can't mold-proof your home, you can identify problem areas and practice mold prevention. Proper ventilation, instantly drying wet areas, utilizing mold-resistant products, and simply cleaning your home are all things you can do to reduce your risk of having mold develop in your home. It is recommended to keep the relative humidity in your home at or below 50%.
25 views0 comments